MyAnimeList is a site where you can enter in which anime you’ve watched and manga you’ve read to keep track of how little of a life you have. Oh and brag to other low-life losers like you. (If you care to compare, mine is here. Tags may/may not contain comedic value.)
One thing I never understood is how the recommendations section is supposed to work.
The site is currently keeping track of:
- every anime I have watched since 2004
- roughly the exact number of times I’ve rewatched each series
- a score on the rank of 1-10 for each series
- tags that are more or less meaningful
- repeat this for other people in my social graph
Despite this, only one of the recommendations on the recommendation page is based on a series I have actually watched. Everything else is being pitched as “If you liked ‘some anime I never heard of’…” which is pretty useless.
Ideally, recommendations should consist of:
- people who rated $series around the same rating you did also liked these shows having these mutual tags
- your friends have completed these series over your rating threshold recently
- other series that have been tagged with the tags having the highest average score per series
Something actually useful and not just yanking random series out of a database would be nice.